Rava Idli is another famous South Indian recipe which is very simple to prepare at home.
Ingredients of Rava Idli
- Rava (sooji/semolina) – 1 cup
- Curd – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1 bunch (finely chopped)
- Cashew nuts – 6-7 number
- Carrot – 1 number (grated)
- Baking soda – 1/4 tbsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1 pinch
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Green chili – 2 numbers (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Coconut – 1/2 cup (grated)
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, when mustard splutters, add hing and channa dal.
- When dal changes color, add cashew nuts, ginger, green chili and curry leaves.
- Add rava and roast it nicely for a couple of minutes. Do not burn the rava. Allow it to cool.
- After it cools, add curd, finely chopped coriander leaves, carrot, baking soda, coconut and salt to taste. Mix it well with water little by little, without lumps.
- The batter should neither be thick nor thin, so adjust water accordingly.
- Let the rava idli batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Now, pour this batter on greased idli moulds and steam cook for 15 minutes.